Jefferson Parish Forensic Center
2018 8th Street
Harvey, Louisiana 70058
The Forensic Toxicology Laboratory of the Jefferson Parish Coroner’s Office provides testing of toxicology samples from all sudden, violent and suspicious deaths occurring in Jefferson and surrounding parishes.
The laboratory provides drug, ethanol and carbon monoxide testing for medico-legal purposes. Testing is primarily done on blood, urine and vitreous; however, other biological materials/tissues can be tested.
The following drugs/classes are routinely tested:
Amphetamines, Methamphetamines, THC (marijuana), Cocaine, Barbiturates, Benzodiazepines, Opiates, PCP, Tricyclic Antidepressants, Carisoprodol, Propoxyphene and Methadone. If we cannot test for a specific drug or a pathologist requests a quantitation, we will send-out a reference laboratory.
Current instrumentation/procedures include:
- Blood drug screening by ELISA technology
- Urine drug screening by chromatogenic immunoassay
- Headspace Gas Chromatography for ethanol analysis
- GC/MS (gas chromatography/mass-spectrometer detector) for drug confirmation testing
- Hemoximeter for CO (carbon monoxide) testing
The present laboratory staff includes:
Melva M. Williams, MS MT(ASCP) – Technical director
Ronda K. Conners, MT(ASCP) – Medical Technologist